Eighth Graders, Welcome Back!
Here is the long awaited assignment (there were some serious issues with the system used to post up blogs). PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE POSTING BEFORE STARTING ANY PART OF THE ASSIGNMENT!
African Americans in the South faced a variety of problems at the end of Reconstruction. These problems became acute as federal regulation of Southern state governments ended and remaining federal troops were withdrawn from the South. Brainstorm ideas about what these problems might be. Create a web to post your responses around. The center of the web should read Problems after Reconstruction
Use the link to the Post Civil War timeline below to develop a list of three to five important problems facing African Americans following Reconstruction.. (Note: You will need to scroll down to events after 1865)
Below is a link to a power-point that will give you some background on the beginning of the Reconstruction Era. After viewing the entire power-point, write a summary answer the following:
- Why was the Reconstruction of the nation necessary and how were the leaders of the country aiming on completing this task?
- What were the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments? A sentence for each would be sufficient explanation.
Click on this link http://www.myteacherpages.com/webpages/WBlaylock/files/Reconstruction.ppt
Read/analyze the attached documents below and answer the following questions:
Document One: Download When the Civil War ended
- What was going to be one of the biggest issues post civil war that the nation would have to deal with? What steps did they take to begin to rectify the problem? What other "problems" could you foresee (predict) coming from this solution?
- What does the primary source tell you about the nation at the end of the 19th Century?
Document Two: Download Reconstruction Backgrounder
- Explain what the Jim Crow Laws were. Define what lynching is.
- What is segregation? What positive/negative effects did it have on both the whites and blacks of the South during the Reconstruction Era?
- What was life like for the "African American" in the South during the end of the 19th and early 20th century? Provide examples to support your opinion.
Document Three: Download Jim Crow Laws-Primary Sources
Based on the primary sources here and the knowledge that you have acquired in parts one and two, write a one page narrative of an "African American" during the Reconstruction Era. Your narrative can be a journal entry, a diary, a short story, a monologue, etc. It should include some background on who this person is and how his/her life is being affected by the laws or lack thereof present during this time period. You are to use accurate language, terms, key events, key people, and realistic actions/reactions of the historic time period. This last piece will be graded as an "open-book" quiz so make sure you are authentic, thorough, and detailed.
This assignment and only this assignment (document three) will be due on Wednesday, February 25th. Everything else will be due on Tuesday. However, on Monday we will start discussing all this material. You will be better prepared and better off having most if not all ready by Monday.
You can type up all your work and then in class I will tell you what pages which assignments go on. Otherwise, do it on loose-leaf and I will tell you in class on Monday how to organize your work. No printing will be done during class period and no excuses for lateness to class will be accepted. Anything that needs to be printed must be done before school or during homeroom.
Keep in mind that it seems like a lot but in actuality there is not as much writing. Therefore, make sure your work is of high standard. Considering the technical difficulties in posting this and the lateness of the assignment I have cut it down considerably; therefore, no exceptions will be made. You have three days to complete this (which is like three class periods) and you've done more in less time. I have full confidence in each and every one of you and I expect you to be the same.
Good luck and have fun with it!